Sixth Annual National Medicare Education Week, Sept. 15-21, Empowers People With Information and Resources Before Open Enrollment Period
- Community events and online resources available to help people before Medicare's annual Open Enrollment Period, Oct. 15-Dec. 7
- Campaign supporters include AARP, Caregiver Action Network, National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a), UnitedHealthcare, Walgreens and others
UnitedHealthcare invites Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers to attend community education events across the country and explore online learning tools during the sixth annual National Medicare Education Week, Sept. 15-21.
National Medicare Education Week offers educational events and resources to baby boomers, Medicare beneficiaries, and their families and caregivers, and begins one month before the start of Medicare's annual Open Enrollment Period, Oct. 15-Dec. 7.
With more than 10,000 Americans becoming eligible for Medicare every day, the number of people in need of clear information about Medicare is growing. Part of UnitedHealthcare's Medicare Made Clear™ initiative, National Medicare Education Week was established to help meet this demand and help people make informed, confident decisions about their Medicare coverage.
Education Opportunities in Local Communities
During National Medicare Education Week, UnitedHealthcare will host dozens of Medicare education events across the country. At the events:
- Local UnitedHealthcare representatives will present information and answer frequently asked Medicare questions. A survey of last year's participants showed that 99 percent of respondents gained a better understanding of Medicare as a result of participating in National Medicare Education Week events.
- Walgreens will be onsite and host "Ask A Pharmacist" booths at select National Medicare Education Week community events across the country.
- To see the list of 2017 events and register to attend, visit NMEW.com.
People can also participate in National Medicare Education Week online:
- At MedicareMadeClear.com, a consumer-friendly site with educational articles, videos and guides. This site is also available in Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese in order to help more people learn in their preferred language.
- Through Facebook Live broadcasts (www.facebook.com/medicaremadeclear) hosted by UnitedHealthcare on Monday, Sept. 18, and Thursday, Sept. 21, where people eligible for Medicare and their loved ones can get answers to their Medicare questions from experts in real-time.
In collaboration with n4a, a National Medicare Education Week supporter, a Medicare education toolkit is available to local Area Agencies on Aging. Developed by Medicare Made Clear, these tools and resources are designed to help make community outreach easier and education tools more accessible for local Area Agencies on Aging.
"UnitedHealthcare is privileged to serve more than one in five Medicare beneficiaries nationally. Our goal during National Medicare Education Week is to connect people easily to Medicare information so they can learn about their Medicare options and confidently choose coverage that meets their needs this fall," said Brian Thompson, CEO of UnitedHealthcare's Medicare & Retirement business.
National Medicare Education Week supporters include: AARP, Caregiver Action Network, n4a, UnitedHealthcare, Walgreens, and health care providers, senior centers and other organizations nationwide.
For more information about National Medicare Education Week, visit NMEW.com.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, military service members, retirees and their families, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 1 million physicians and care professionals, and 6,000 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at uhc.com or follow @myUHC on Twitter.
Plans are insured through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company or one of its affiliated companies. For Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans: A Medicare Advantage organization with a Medicare contract and a Medicare-approved Part D sponsor. Enrollment in these plans depends on the plan's contract renewal with Medicare.