UnitedHealth Group is committed to protecting job applicants’ personal information.
UnitedHealth Group observes principles of good information handling and takes all reasonable care when handling job applicants’ “Personal Information,” which includes any information that identifies, or is capable of identifying, individual UnitedHealth Group job applicants.
UnitedHealth Group processes job applicants’ Personal Information in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws. If applying for a position outside the U.S., your Personal Information may also be subject to additional privacy policies available at the bottom of our Careers website.
For the purposes of this policy, all UnitedHealth Group subsidiaries are collectively referred to as “UnitedHealth.” Any reference to UnitedHealth or “Company” in this policy means UnitedHealth Group and its affiliates.
For information about the privacy rights of California residents, please see State Consumer Privacy Notice section below.
What Personal Information may we collect and disclose about you?
Personal Information may be collected from you in various ways, including in person, by our company technology and systems when you use them, or by third-party recruiting tools, including online-recruitment services. Additionally, Personal Information may be obtained from your application materials including resume or CV; offer letter; employment contract, independent contractor agreement and/or other professional contract; backup files; internal or external contact information maintained in the onboarding, People Team Information System, active directory or other internal systems; information captured from video or audio systems or other forms of monitoring or surveillance; data collected as part of the Company’s people team analytics or talent management programs; and data collected by third party services providers, such as background check, occupational health assessment, and drug screening providers.
Any or all Personal Information may be held electronically and/or in hard copy form.
How will we use your Personal Information?
UnitedHealth will use your Personal Information to assess whether you are a good fit for relevant positions at our Company; to contact you in response to your application or the reason for which you provided your Personal Information to us; to screen applicable workers against professional body registrations and licensing organizations; and/or to manage our occupational health and safety obligations. Such screenings are necessary to ensure that workers are suitable for their position at UnitedHealth and, in particular, to confirm that they are permitted without exception to provide services to UnitedHealth and all of UnitedHealth’s clients, including organizations that prohibit excluded or debarred individuals from working on their account.
State Consumer Privacy Notice
This State Consumer Privacy Notice applies to residents of California and supplements our Job Applicant Personal Information Handling Policy. It explains what Personal Information (PI) we collect about you, where and from whom we obtain it, why we collect it, and your respective rights regarding it. If you are a California resident, this notice applies to any PI that we collect about you.
PI We Collect and Disclose for Business Purposes
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have collected the following PI about California residents and have disclosed it for the business purposes described below:
Category of PI
Categories of Third Parties to Which We Disclose PI for Business Purposes
Shared for Advertising Purposes*
Categories of Third Parties with Which We Share PI for Advertising Purposes
Some Personal Information included in the categories below may overlap with other categories.
*Advertising cookies only apply to https://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com.
A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, government-issued identification numbers or other similar identifiers.
Yes, only with respect to https://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com.
Contracted Service Providers and Vendors
Personal information categories
A name, signature, address, telephone number, government-issued identification numbers, education, employment, employment history, medical information, or health insurance information.
Protected classification characteristics
Age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), veteran or military status.
Sensitive personal data categories
("Sensitive Personal Data")
Government-issued identification number, precise geolocation information, racial or ethnic origin, biometrics data, health data, mental or physical health condition or diagnosis, sexual orientation, citizenship or immigration status.
Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
Fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, vital signs, labs, or test results.
Internet and/or network activity
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
Physical location or movements.
Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.
Professional or employment-related information
Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
Education information subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, or student disciplinary records.
Inferences drawn from other personal information
Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
We will retain the foregoing categories of PI consistent with our internal record-retention policies and for as long as is necessary to provide products and services to you or as required by law.
PI does not include:
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information
- Publicly available information from government records
- Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data
- PI covered by other privacy laws, including: The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994
Categories of Sources of PI
We obtain the categories of PI listed above from:
- You or your authorized agent,
- Service providers,
- Publicly available information,
- Organizations with which you are employed or affiliated, or
- Activity on our apps and websites.
Collection from these sources may occur online, in person, via paper or other electronic means, and may occur automatically where state law permits such profiling absent an explicit request to opt-out.
Why We Collect PI
We collect your PI for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To respond to an email or particular request from you
- To communicate with you
- To personalize services for you
- To process an application as requested by you
- To administer surveys and promotions
- To provide you with information that we believe may be useful to you, such as information about products or services provided by us or other businesses
- To perform analytics and to improve our products, websites, and advertising
- To comply with applicable laws, regulations, and legal processes
- To protect someone's health, safety, or welfare
- To protect our rights, the rights of affiliates or related third parties, or take appropriate legal action
- To keep a record of our transactions and communications
- To detect and protect against security incidents
- To debug to identify and repair errors
- As otherwise necessary or useful for us to conduct our business, so long as such use is permitted by law
Sharing or Selling Your PI
At times, we may share or sell your PI with third parties to display advertisements to you based on your activities, preferences, or interests. You may opt-out of this activity on your device by using our cookie management tool on our website and by submitting a request via the Do Not Share or Sell My Personal Information link on the website. The preceding only applies to https://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com.
Third parties are not allowed to use or disclose your PI other than as specified in our contract and as permitted by law.
If we seek to use your PI for a materially different purpose than we previously disclosed in this notice, we will notify you and will not use your PI for this new purpose without your explicit consent.
You may configure opt-out preference signals through your web browser utilizing functionality enabled on our website. Use this functionality to opt-out of sharing/selling your PI.
Sensitive Personal Data
We only process Sensitive Personal Data to process transactions necessarily related to your employment or application for employment.
How Long We Retain Your PI
We will retain your PI for as long as we provide products and services to you or as required by law.
- You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your PI over the preceding twelve (12) months prior to your request. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you
- What PI we collect about you
- Where and from whom we collect PI about you
- Our business purpose for collecting PI about you
- The types of third parties with whom we share your PI
- The specific pieces of PI we collect about you, in a readily-usable format—note that we will not disclose your actual Social Security number, driver’s license number or other government-issued identification number, financial account number, any health insurance or medical identification number, an account password, or security questions and answers
- The types of PI that we disclosed about you for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed your PI
- You have the right to be informed about the PI that we collect about you at the time that or before we collect it. This is that notice.
- You have the right to request that we delete any PI about you that we have.
- You have the right to request a correction of any inaccurate information in the PI we collect about you.
- You have the right to stop us from sharing your PI to display advertisements to you based upon your activities, preferences, and interests.
- If we use your sensitive PI for purposes other than to render services or offer products to you, you will have the right to request that we limit the processing of your sensitive PI.
- You will not be discriminated against or penalized for exercising your rights to your PI, and we will honor your rights by not:
- Denying you services,
- Charging you different prices or rates for services,
- Imposing penalties, or
- Providing you with a different level or quality of services.
- Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why and you may appeal this decision (see additional information in Appeals section below).
How to Exercise Your Rights
- You may exercise your rights by:
- Calling us at 1-800-561-0861. Let us know you are calling about a “CPRA Request.”
- Submitting your online request here.
- Only applies to https://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com: You may opt-out of the sharing or selling of your PI collected on your device by using our cookie management tool on our website and by submitting a request via the Do Not Share or Sell My Personal Information link on the website.
- You may be required to submit proof of your identity for these requests to be processed.
- We will not be able to comply with your request if we are unable to confirm your identity.
- You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf subject to proof of identity and authorization.
- Our responses to any of your requests for the information described above will be limited to information that we have collected in the preceding twelve (12) months before our receipt of your verified request.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your request within 10 days of receipt of your submission. You will receive our response to your request within 45 days of your request, unless we provide you with notice that it will take more than 45 days to respond (in that case, we won’t take more than 90 days to respond).
- If the business denies any of your requests, you may appeal by:
- Calling us at 1-800-561-0861. Let us know you are calling about a “CPRA Request.”
- Submitting your online request here.
- We will respond to your appeal within 45 days of receipt, unless we notify you that we will require an additional 15 days to respond.
- If you remain concerned about the result of that appeal, you may contact the attorney general in your state of residency.
Please contact Employee Center at 1-800-561-0861 if you have any questions.
Last Revised: June 30, 2023.