UnitedHealthcare’s 2019 Medicare Plans Offer Stability and Value
More than 1 million people will see reduced Medicare Advantage premiums
Renew Active™ by UnitedHealthcare fitness program expands to 12 new states
Company offers more than 2 million people access to over-the-counter health items at no additional cost
Navigate4Me™ offers single, dedicated contact to guide people through the health care system
UnitedHealthcare® today introduced its 2019 Medicare Advantage and prescription drug plans, offering more choice, stable and reduced premiums, broad access to care, and enhanced benefits and programs designed to help people live healthier lives.
The only provider of Medicare plans that carry the AARP name, UnitedHealthcare will continue to build upon its high level of service and support, which is one reason why more people have chosen its plans than any other company.[i]
"Every plan benefit, resource and program we offer is designed with the preferences and unique needs of people on Medicare in mind," said Brian Thompson, CEO of UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement. "We strengthened our benefits and services for 2019, while keeping out-of-pocket costs low, and we also expanded our plan offerings to more people. Our affordable plan options offer strong value, enhanced benefits, access to high-quality doctors and hospitals, and personalized service and support."
Medicare Advantage Plans
Today, nearly 4.8 million people are enrolled in UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plans. In 2019, about 53 million people eligible for Medicare nationwide will have a choice of multiple plans from UnitedHealthcare, as the company expands its offerings to reach an additional 2 million people in 130 counties.[ii]
UnitedHealthcare's 2019 plans will provide consumers with stability and value, enhanced benefits and programs, and a distinctive experience.
Stability & Value
- Stable and reduced premiums and copays. More than 90 percent of the people UnitedHealthcare serves will see at least stable Medicare Advantage premiums in 2019, and more than 1 million people will see their premiums reduced.[iii]
- Prescription drug coverage. Most plans will include drug coverage and offer $0 copays for tier 1 and tier 2 drugs ordered through the mail.
- Vision, hearing and dental. Nearly all plans will cover routine vision and hearing, and more than 2 million people will have access to a broad range of hearing aid options. Most plans also offer preventive dental.
Enhanced Benefits & Programs
- Renew ActiveTM, UnitedHealthcare's Medicare Advantage fitness program (formerly Optum Fitness Advantage), will expand to 12 additional states[iv] and include new features, like online exercises and activities designed to support cognitive health and help people stay active in body and mind.
Renew Active also offers access to numerous participating fitness locations at no additional cost, including 24 Hour Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Curves, Gold's Gym, LA Fitness, Life Time and Snap Fitness. Locations also include local participating YMCAs.
- Over-the-counter benefit. More than 2 million people will have access to over-the-counter health items at no additional cost through mail order or online. People in eligible plans will also be able to purchase these items via a preloaded, plan debit card at Walgreens.
- Virtual Visits. Many baby boomers are looking for more convenient ways to access care, so in 2019, UnitedHealthcare will make Virtual Visits available for more than 1.7 million people, giving them access to care providers through a smartphone or computer for minor health issues or behavioral health support, often at no cost.
- Transportation. About 1.7 million people will have access to transportation for doctor appointments and other health-related needs included in their plans.
A Distinctive Experience
- Navigate4MeTM. This support program is available to people facing complex health issues and pairs them with a UnitedHealthcare employee as their single point of contact to coordinate care, address claims issues, provide social support and help with other needs. The company's goal is to help 500,000 people through Navigate4Me in 2019, including people like Melinda Lacy, a UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage member in Florida.
"I never expected or anticipated that kind of help, that depth of caring from an insurance company. I felt safe," Lacy said of her experience with the program. "[My navigator] was somebody I could trust. Through my surgeries, she was always there."
- Solutions for Caregivers. Caregivers, who are often a family member or friend, are the unsung heroes of the health care system, so in 2019, UnitedHealthcare is adding Solutions for Caregivers to nearly all Medicare Advantage plans. The program offers caregivers resources like access to care management, personalized care plan development and emotional support.
- HouseCalls. Most plans will include the HouseCalls program, which provides people with the option of receiving an annual clinical wellness visit from the comfort of home. The company expects to complete 1.4 million HouseCalls for its members in 2018.
More Plan Choices
UnitedHealthcare serves one in five people in the Medicare program through its portfolio of plans[v].
This includes more than 4.5 million through its Medicare supplement plans, which can be purchased year-round. In 2019, people with UnitedHealthcare Medicare supplement plans in 34 states will have access to personalized health resources, such as wellness coaching, discounted gym memberships, 24/7 nurse support, online activities, classes and community events.
UnitedHealthcare also serves more than 4.7 million people through its stand-alone Part D prescription drug plans, including the low-premium AARP MedicareRx Walgreens (PDP) plan, which has been the No. 1-selling Part D plan in the nation since its launch in January 2017v. It offers $0 tier 1 copays at more than 8,200 Walgreens and Duane Reade locations. Most people enrolled in UnitedHealthcare's Part D plans can expect reduced premiums and stable benefits in 2019.
People can make changes to their Medicare coverage during Medicare Annual Enrollment, which runs Oct. 15 to Dec. 7.
For more information on UnitedHealthcare's Medicare plans, visit UHCMedicareHealthPlans.com.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making the health system work better for everyone by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. In the United States, UnitedHealthcare offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 1.2 million physicians and care professionals, and 6,500 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. The company also provides health benefits and delivers care to people through owned and operated health care facilities in South America. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified health care company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at www.uhc.com or follow @UHC on Twitter.