From resume to interview: tips for the UnitedHealth Group hiring process
- Customize your resume for the specific role, highlighting your strengths as a fit for the role with the right keywords to match.
- Bring your whole self to your interview. Be genuine and envision yourself in the role you're applying for.
- Embrace the digital interview process at UnitedHealth Group. Prepare as you would for a traditional interview. Ensure you are in a quiet space with reliable equipment.
- Before the interview, research the specific business line or area you're interviewing for. Leverage your network to gain insights and prepare.
Embarking on a new job journey can feel overwhelming, but we're here to guide you every step of the way. At UnitedHealth Group, we're not just looking for employees; we're seeking passionate individuals ready to make a difference. So, how can you ensure you shine brightly among the many talented candidates? It all starts with understanding our hiring process and being well-prepared.
The power of a tailored resume
Crafting a standout resume is your first step in catching the attention of potential employers. At UnitedHealth Group, we receive numerous resumes for our open positions. To ensure your resume resonates with our hiring team, consider the following guidelines directly from our resume advice page:
- Determine your objective: Understand your career goals and structure your resume content around a clear and obtainable objective.
- Be clear and concise: Put yourself in the shoes of the resume reader. What would you be looking for in a candidate?
- Use bulleted sentences: Resumes are read quickly, so key phrases should stand out.
- Use active language: Words like prepared, managed, and developed make your resume stand out.
- Highlight your strengths: Put the strong and most relevant points first.
- Match our need: Review job descriptions on our site and match prevalent words to your resume.
- Be positive and relevant: Negative comments don’t belong on your resume.
- Create a concise format: A resume should be limited to one page unless you have extensive work experience.
- Get an outside opinion: Before sending off your resume, have a friend or mentor read through it.
- Use the right keywords: Incorporate keywords from the job description and related job ads.
Kelly, a recruiter with our team in North America for UnitedHealthcare, further underscores the importance of tailoring your resume: "Tailor your resume to the role(s) you are applying for. It's surprising how often candidates overlook key experiences or skills that align perfectly with a role."
Nailing your interview at UnitedHealth Group
Maria, a recruiter with our team in Optum Colombia, emphasizes the essence of authenticity, “Be authentic! Don’t be afraid of showing your true self during the interview process. Businesses and teams are betting on diverse talent, and the most innovative and high-performing teams often consist of candidates who bring diverse ideas, thoughts, and methodologies to the table.”
Bianca, a recruiter with our team in Optum Philippines, shares a golden nugget, “Envision yourself in the position you’re applying for. When you create a resume, be authentic with your details. Because in Optum, we value integrity.” This advice isn't limited to resumes; it's the essence of our interview process. Be genuine and let your passion shine through.
Embracing digital interviewing at UnitedHealth Group
In our continuous effort to innovate and streamline the hiring process, UnitedHealth Group has embraced digital video interviews. Whether you're eyeing an on-site, hybrid, or remote role, you might experience our digital video interview process. Here's what you need to know:
Benefits of video interviews:
- Complete your interview anytime, anywhere.
- Your interview can be shared with multiple teams at UnitedHealth Group, expediting our review process.
- Bring your resume to life by narrating your story on video.
- Enjoy a standardized interview experience with each candidate receiving the same set of questions.
- Treat this as a traditional interview.
- If the interview isn't live, questions will appear on the screen, and your answers will be recorded.
- Frame yourself well in the camera, articulate clearly, and maintain eye contact with the camera.
- Be genuine, focus on your enthusiasm for the role, and animate your resume.
Mikala, a recruiter with our team in North America for UnitedHealth Group, offers some insights: "Whether it’s a digital interview, a recruiter phone screening, a phone interview, or a virtual video interview directly with member(s) of the hiring team, please come to these events prepared. Take some time to review the job description and prepare some prior work examples for each of the responsibilities and the job qualifications.”
For a full summary of our hiring process from application to onboarding, check out this video:
Finding your next opportunity
Your journey to joining the UnitedHealth Group family is a blend of preparation, authenticity, and passion. With insights from our seasoned recruiters like Maria, Kelly, Bianca, and Mikala, you're well-equipped to navigate our hiring process.
Ready to elevate your career and put these insights into action? Explore our open roles.