UnitedHealthcare, the market leader in Medicare benefit plans1, and DexCom, Inc., the leader in continuous glucose monitoring for diabetes management, today announced an individualized glucose management pilot program driven by wearable technology to help people with Type 2 diabetes manage their condition in real time.
The program is being showcased this week at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the annual technology convention in Las Vegas.
Eligible UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plan participants can use the Dexcom Mobile Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System to track their blood glucose levels 24/7, enabling them to understand how their behaviors affect their glucose so they can take appropriate actions.
Participants also receive personalized diabetes coaching and an activity tracker to help them understand and act upon the data gathered by the CGM device. Together, these tools empower people with Type 2 diabetes to manage glucose levels and can result in increased glucose control, reductions in medications and improved confidence in managing their diabetes.
The program is part of UnitedHealthcare’s focus on integrating human support with data from real-time sources, such as digital health technology, and historical sources, like claims data, to help improve and personalize how people navigate the health care system.
“With more than 27 million people nationwide living with Type 2 diabetes2 there is urgent need to address this epidemic in new ways,” said Brian Thompson, CEO of UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement. “Continuous glucose monitoring can be a game changer for people enrolled in our Medicare Advantage plans, as the data can be translated into personalized information that can be acted upon in real time.”
Dexcom’s technology consists of a sensor – usually worn on the abdomen – that reads glucose levels just beneath the skin. A transmitter sends the data to a smartphone, which processes and displays updated data every five minutes, and can reveal relationships between eating, exercise and blood sugar that are difficult to observe with only test strips and a glucose meter.
“Dexcom is thrilled to work with UnitedHealthcare to bring this program to people living with diabetes,” said Steve Pacelli, Dexcom’s executive vice president of strategy and corporate development. “The insights that CGM and this program provide can drive significant value to both patients and care providers in helping to better manage diabetes.”
UnitedHealthcare serves more than 4.3 million people in Medicare Advantage plans, 4.9 million people through its portfolio of Part D prescription drug plans, and 4.4 million beneficiaries through its Medicare supplement plans.
Nationwide, UnitedHealthcare serves one in five Medicare beneficiaries3.
UnitedHealthcare at CES 2018
UnitedHealthcare will demonstrate new technologies designed to help simplify the consumer health care experience by making information more accessible through personal technology devices including computers, smartphones and wearables.
UnitedHealthcare’s 3,500-square-foot booth is located in the Sands Convention Center, adjacent to the Digital Health Stage (Hall A – 43731). Numerous digital innovations will be demonstrated, including UnitedHealthcare Motion®, the UnitedHealthcare Healthy Pregnancy™ mobile app, Virtual Visits and health and well-being solution Rally®.
Conference attendees will also participate in a fundraiser for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Nevada. For each mile cycled on the in-booth stationary bikes, UnitedHealthcare will donate $1 to the Club, up to $25,000. The donation will be delivered to the Club, along with 150 bike helmets, Monday, Jan. 15.
At CES 2018, executives from UnitedHealthcare, Optum and Rally Health will speak, including:
- Paul Sterling, vice president of emerging products at UnitedHealthcare, will participate in a panel hosted by CNET.com about empowering patients with connected technology on Tuesday, Jan. 9, at 3 p.m. at the Las Vegas Convention Center (North Hall).
- Dr. Richard Migliori will participate in a panel – “The Vicious Spiral: How Will the Opioid Crisis End?” – Wednesday, Jan. 10, at 10:45 a.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304.
- Pat Keran, vice president of innovation and research & development at Optum (a UnitedHealth Group company), will participate in a panel – “Predictive Analytics: The New Clairvoyant Caregiver” – Wednesday, Jan. 10, at 2:15 p.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304.
- Mike Jacobs, senior distinguished engineer at Optum, will participate in a fireside chat – “Healthcare Has Problems: Blockchain Has Answers” – Thursday, Jan. 11, at 10 a.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304.
- Rebecca Madsen, UnitedHealthcare chief consumer officer, will participate in a fireside chat – “UnitedHealthcare Rallies Data into Action” – Thursday, Jan. 11, at 10:35 a.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304. She will be joined by Shawn Mobley, Rally Health Inc. chief revenue officer.
- Kirsti Lay, a professional cyclist for Rally Cycling and former Olympian, and Sara Bergen, a Rally Cycling team rider and two-time World Championship participant, will participate in Q&A sessions on Thursday, Jan. 11, and Friday, Jan. 12, at 1 p.m. The cyclists will discuss the connection between technology and athletic training and performance.
Visit www.uhc.com/ces or follow @UHC on Twitter, and through the #DigitalHealthCES hashtag.
About DexCom, Inc.
DexCom, Inc., headquartered in San Diego, CA, is dedicated to helping people better manage their diabetes by developing and marketing continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) products and tools for adult and pediatric patients. With exceptional performance, patient comfort and lifestyle flexibility at the heart of its technology, users have consistently ranked DexCom highest in customer satisfaction and loyalty. For more information on the DexCom CGM, visit www.dexcom.com.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, military service members, retirees and their families, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with 1 million physicians and care professionals, and 6,000 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at www.uhc.com or follow @UHC on Twitter.
Share This Story