UnitedHealthcare’s “Solutions for Caregivers” Provides Comprehensive Resources to Help People Care for Aging or Disabled Family Members
- New program provides end-to-end resources for caregivers and their family members, including in-person support tools, an online store with discounted products and services, and a secure messaging platform to help coordinate care with health professionals
- Solutions for Caregivers offered at no additional charge to large employers nationwide
UnitedHealthcare has launched Solutions for Caregivers, a program for large employers that features in-person, telephonic and online resources designed to help caregivers save money and more effectively provide assistance to the people they support.
The program is being showcased at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2016, the annual technology convention in Las Vegas.
Solutions for Caregivers is now available to all large employers with self-funded health plans at no additional charge for employees to use the online services. The program offers various resources for caregivers, aging or disabled Americans, and their health care providers, including:
- Information: Customized content based on specific illnesses and challenges for care recipients, with articles and videos for family caregivers about health conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, heart attack and stroke.
- Marketplace: A growing online store with products and local services available to purchase that help support caregivers and their care recipients, including home-safety products, home-delivered meals, and specialty products such as simple and secure tablet computers.
- Support: Resources to help family members connect with each other and health care professionals, including shared calendars, secure messaging and task management trackers. Case management services also offer employees in-person and telephonic support, helping them to create and follow through with a care plan.
According to the Alzheimer’s Association, nearly 44 million people nationwide provide unpaid care to a loved one age 50 or older.
“Many caregivers are searching for relevant resources but often don’t know where to start. Solutions for Caregivers addresses the needs of family caregivers through case management services and online resources that help caregivers more effectively care for their loved ones,” said Vidya Raman-Tangella, M.D., head of UnitedHealthcare’s Innovation Center of Excellence.
A number of large employers have already introduced the program to their employees when it was available as a pilot initiative, encouraging their workforces to take advantage of the available resources.
UnitedHealthcare at CES
UnitedHealthcare – in addition to showcasing Solutions for Caregivers – will demonstrate at CES new technologies designed to simplify the consumer health care experience by making helpful, practical information more accessible through personal technology devices such as computers, smartphones and television programming.
At CES 2016, Richard Migliori, M.D., chief medical officer of UnitedHealth Group, will participate in a panel at the CES Digital Health Summit panel, “Connecting the Dots and Closing the Loop,” on Thursday, Jan. 7., from 10 to 10:30 a.m. in the Venetian, Level 2, Bellini 2004. Dr. Raman-Tangella will speak about the role of caregivers in supporting older Americans’ health and well-being on Thursday, Jan. 7, from 1:10 to 1:40 p.m. Dr. Migliori will also participate in a “Tech Talk” about the growing use of sensory devices that detect illness by tracking biomarkers in blood, glucose and breath on Friday, Jan. 8, from 2:10 to 2:20 p.m.
CES attendees who visit the UnitedHealthcare booth can learn about a wide range of innovative health programs, including:
- Virtual Visits: Millions of UnitedHealthcare plan participants now have coverage for virtual physician visits, giving people enrolled in employer-based health plans secure, online access to a physician via mobile phone, tablet or computer 24 hours a day. A recently developed network of care providers offering video-based virtual visits enables UnitedHealthcare plan participants across the country to choose from in-network virtual care provider groups, then see and speak with a doctor using real-time audio and video technology to obtain a diagnosis and any necessary prescriptions for minor medical needs including allergies, sinus and bladder infections, bronchitis and other conditions.
- Real Appeal: Real Appeal is a personalized, interactive, online weight-loss program that uses personal coaches and a Hollywood cast to help motivate consumers to get ready for the Red Carpet. The Internet TV program is built on the findings of extensive clinical research on obesity and diabetes prevention that included more than 10,000 participants. Real Appeal carries no additional cost for participants whose employers offer the program through their health insurance plans. To see Real Appeal in action, click here.
- Rally Health: Rally Health, Inc., is a consumer-focused digital health company whose goal is to make it easy for people to take charge of their health and wellness, and to work with employers and health plans to reimagine health engagement. Rally’s digital health platform offers integrated solutions to help people manage all aspects of their health and wellness, including shopping for health care options based on both quality and cost. More than 20 million people currently have access to the Rally platform through health plans including UnitedHealthcare, as well as through their employer.
UnitedHealthcare’s CES booth is No. 73931 in the Sands Convention Center. Follow along on Twitter @myUHC or visit www.uhc.com/ces.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, military service members, retirees and their families, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 850,000 physicians and care professionals, and 6,000 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at www.uhc.com or follow @myUHC on Twitter.