UnitedHealth Group Donates $500,000 to Help Residents of Florida Gulf Coast Region Affected by Hurricane Michael
- <p>UnitedHealth Group deploying health care delivery capabilities in affected areas<br> </p>
- <p>Company also offers 1:1 match for employee donations supporting disaster-relief efforts<br> </p>
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) and its UnitedHealthcare and Optum businesses are donating $500,000 to help residents of the Florida Gulf Coast region recover and rebuild from Hurricane Michael. UnitedHealth Group will donate the funds to the Florida Disaster Fund.
The company is matching dollar-for-dollar donations employees make to charities supporting recovery efforts.
“We are deeply concerned for the people affected by Hurricane Michael, and we are committed to supporting local communities in the Gulf Coast region as they recover and rebuild,” said David S. Wichmann, chief executive officer, UnitedHealth Group. “We are also taking action to ensure the people we serve have access to the care they need, and have worked to ensure the safety and well-being of our colleagues in the region.”
In addition to financial support for the affected communities, UnitedHealth Group will mobilize clinical and care delivery assets to help provide access to care through:
- Deployment of Mobile Clinic: UnitedHealth Group is partnering with Matrix Medical Network to deploy mobile clinics to provide health care directly to people living in areas affected by Hurricane Michael. The mobile clinic, staffed by WellMed and Optum clinicians, is being deployed in Panama City Beach, Fla.
- Emergency Kit and Prescription Drug Donations: OptumRx is working with Healthcare Ready to supply emergency kits and prescription drug donations to residents affected by Hurricane Michael in the Florida Gulf Coast Region. Additionally, UnitedHealthcare is providing hygiene kits to individuals and families affected by the storm.
- Free Emotional-Support Help Line: Optum is offering a free emotional-support help line to people affected by the hurricane. The toll-free number, 866-342-6892, will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for as long as necessary. The service is free of charge and open to anyone. Callers may also receive referrals to community resources. Along with the toll-free help line, emotional-support resources and information are available online at www.liveandworkwell.com.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health care company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and helping make the health system work better for everyone. UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. For more information, visit UnitedHealth Group at www.unitedhealthgroup.com or follow @UnitedHealthGrp on Twitter.