UnitedHealth Group Recognized by The Civic 50 as Nation’s Top Community-Minded Health Care Company for Third Year in a Row
- <p>Company included in The Civic 50 rankings every year since initiative began </p>
- <p>Ranking recognizes UnitedHealth Group’s commitment to helping build healthier communities </p>
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) was recognized today as an industry leader by The Civic 50, an initiative from Points of Light that highlights companies that improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business.
The company ranked first in the health care industry for the third year in a row, and has been included in the rankings every year since The Civic 50 initiative began in 2012.
“This recognition reflects the commitment of our people to serving others,” said Stephen J. Hemsley, CEO of UnitedHealth Group. “They embrace our mission to help people live healthier lives and bring that mission to life in communities around the world every day through their work, their giving and their volunteerism.”
Through community-centered programs and initiatives, UnitedHealth Group focuses on fostering partnerships that serve people who are most in need, helping employees give back and providing actionable data to drive important discussions. Three UnitedHealth Group efforts highlighted this year include:
- Supporting Service Members, Veterans and Their Families: UnitedHealth Group and United Health Foundation continue to deepen community relationships with military service members, the nation’s veterans and their families. From partnerships to improve access to mental health services to meeting the needs of wounded warriors, UnitedHealth Group is committed to serving those who are serving and have served. In May 2015 UnitedHealth Group partnered with Fisher House Foundation to provide a “home away from home” in Camp Pendleton, Calif., for people visiting service members who are being treated at nearby military hospitals. The house is able to serve more than 280 families annually by providing no-cost housing.
- Empowering Employees to Give Back to Their Communities: Through UnitedHealth Group’s giving! program, employees throughout the company are encouraged to give back to their communities by donating their time and talent to programs and organizations that echo the company’s mission of helping people live healthier lives. United Health Foundation also matches employee contributions – dollar for dollar – to nearly all nonprofit organizations. In 2015, donations through the giving! program ranged from support for leading disease management and cure research organizations, to local community health outreach, to disaster relief around the world.
- America’s Health Rankings: America’s Health Rankings is the longest-running annual assessment of America’s health on a state-by-state basis, compiled by United Health Foundation and published by UnitedHealth Group. The report’s purpose is to stimulate action by individuals, elected officials, health care professionals, public health professionals, employers, educators and communities to improve the health of the U.S. population. An example of helping to inform the public health conversation, America’s Health Rankings has been used to shape state health priorities and lead to important changes for state health systems.
“Since 2012, we have seen a notable shift in the results from the survey in a direction that speaks to the commitment of American companies to connect values of community service and civic engagement to the culture and operating practices of their businesses,” said Jennifer Lawson, executive director of the Corporate Institute at Points of Light.
The Civic 50 is the only survey and ranking system that exclusively measures corporate involvement in communities, and was developed in partnership with a high-profile working group of researchers and industry thought leaders. As a result of this collaborative process, the initiative reflects leading insight and thinking about how corporations can and should connect with communities in a twenty-first century economy. The findings are determined by an annual survey and compiled for a report to create a roadmap for companies seeking to best use their time, talent and resources to improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and helping make the health system work better for everyone. UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. For more information, visit UnitedHealth Group at www.unitedhealthgroup.com or follow @UnitedHealthGrp on Twitter.