UnitedHealth Group Recognized as One of America's 50 Most Community-Minded Companies in The Civic 50 Rankings
- UnitedHealth Group again ranked first in health care industry for second year in a row
- Ranking recognized company’s commitment to improving quality of life through key social responsibility initiatives
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) ranked as one of America's most community-minded companies in The Civic 50, an annual initiative recognizing companies that improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business. The company ranked first in the health care industry for the second year in a row, and has been recognized every year since Points of Light began this initiative in 2012.
Points of Light, the largest organization in the world dedicated to volunteer service, conducted the survey in partnership with Bloomberg LP.
“This recognition reflects the commitment of our people to serving others,” said Stephen J. Hemsley, CEO of UnitedHealth Group. “They embrace our mission to help people live healthier lives and bring that mission to life in communities around the world every day through their work, their giving and their volunteerism.”
Three UnitedHealth Group efforts highlighted this year include:
- Transforming Health with Communities, which identifies meaningful partnerships and initiatives that lead to improved access to care, better health outcomes and healthier communities.
- America's Health Rankings®, which compiles a comprehensive state-by-state picture of the nation’s health through the use of numerous, detailed population health measures. This annual assessment is published by United Health Foundation in partnership with American Public Health Association and Partnership for Prevention. Visit the America’s Health Rankings website to learn more.
- Volunteerism, which is a key component of bringing UnitedHealth Group’s social responsibility goals and programs to life. Last year, more than 80 percent of UnitedHealth Group employees around the world volunteered in the communities where they live and work. The company’s commitment to raising awareness of the benefits of volunteerism is underscored by its Doing Good is Good for You: 2013 Health and Volunteering Study.
“Corporate civic engagement is on the rise and it’s being led by the forward-thinking businesses included on The Civic 50 list,” said Neil Bush, chairman of Points of Light. “The correlation their efforts showcase between community engagement and employee retention, productivity and overall bottom-line benefits continues to prove that businesses that do good, do well. We congratulate this year’s Civic 50 and we hope that they continue to inspire greater investments in improving communities through corporate civic engagement.”
This year’s Civic 50 survey was developed under the guidance of an academic panel of nine experts from leading universities throughout the country. The survey evaluates companies based on several criteria including how extensively and strategically resources are applied to community engagement, and how a community engagement program supports business interests and integrates into business functions. Other criteria include how a company supports community engagement through its institutional policies, systems and incentives; and how a company measures the social and business impact of its community engagement program. True Impact, a company specializing in helping organizations maximize and measure their social and business value, administered the survey.
The Civic 50 was created in 2012 to measure corporate civic engagement and recognize companies that incorporate socially responsible practices and community leadership into their culture. To view a complete list of The Civic 50 companies for 2014 and to learn more about the importance of civic engagement in corporate America, visit www.Civic50.org.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making health care work better. UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. Through its businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves more than 85 million people worldwide. For more information, visit UnitedHealth Group at www.unitedhealthgroup.com or follow @UnitedHealthGrp on Twitter.