UnitedHealth Group Receives 2014 “Best Corporate Steward” Award from U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Corporate Citizenship Center
- UnitedHealth Group honored for its commitment to community health, volunteerism and the future health workforce
- The Corporate Citizenship Awards honor businesses for their significant positive impacts in communities around the world
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) has received the 2014 “Best Corporate Steward – Large Business” award from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Corporate Citizenship Center. The awards program honors businesses for their significant positive impacts in communities around the world.
UnitedHealth Group was recognized for its innovative social responsibility initiatives that align business priorities, corporate giving, the skills and talents of its people and the work they do to meet the health and wellness needs of communities across the country, in three key areas:
- Transforming Health with Communities: Identifying meaningful partnerships and initiatives that lead to improved access to care, better health outcomes and healthier communities;
- Volunteerism: Support and encouragement for corporate volunteerism, within the company and as an important component of social responsibility, including research like the Doing Good is Good for You: 2013 Health and Volunteering Study that revealed the health and business benefits of volunteering.
- Future Health Workforce: Programs, including United Health Foundation’s Diverse Scholars Initiative, support UnitedHealth Group’s commitment to improve the health care system by increasing the number of health professionals, including those from multicultural backgrounds. Since 2007, United Health Foundation has awarded more than $11 million in scholarships to students across the country.
“A corporate steward realizes that ‘doing good’ is right for society and right for their business,” said Marc DeCourcey, Executive Director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Corporate Citizenship Center. “UnitedHealth Group’s dedication to community health, creating a healthier workforce, and improving community wellbeing is truly admirable.”
“We are honored to receive the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Best Corporate Steward – Large Business award,” said Jeff Alter, CEO, UnitedHealthcare Commercial Group, who accepted the award on the company’s behalf. “UnitedHealth Group has a clear vision of how we can leverage philanthropy, business innovation and volunteerism to make a real difference. Plus, our employees are passionate, engaged and dedicated to helping build healthier communities through their work and all they do outside of work. They made this award possible.”
The 2014 Citizens Awards ceremony took place at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. More information on this year’s winners is available on the Chamber Foundation’s website.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making health care work better. UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. Through its businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves more than 85 million people worldwide. For more information, visit UnitedHealth Group at www.unitedhealthgroup.com or follow @UnitedHealthGrp on Twitter.