OptumRx Announces Job Growth for Overland Park Facility
- Optum's recent and planned growth will exceed 600 new positions at the customer and mail service center
OptumRx has announced an expansion of operations at its Overland Park customer and mail service facility, which translates to over 600 new jobs for the area. OptumRx, formerly known as Prescription Solutions, is a leading pharmacy benefits management (PBM) organization and one of the Optum companies of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH).
“In response to expected growth, we are increasing our mail service and customer service capabilities,” said Larry C. Renfro, Executive Vice President UnitedHealth Group, CEO, Optum. “This is our flagship operation, featuring the latest technology and capable of processing more than 100,000 mail service prescriptions per day, about double what we currently handle at our Overland Park facility. We are adding employees in virtually every position from entry level to highly experienced, from shipper to pharmacist.”
“OptumRx has been an outstanding corporate and community partner that has brought thousands of jobs to Overland Park since 2005,” said Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback. “This is a true Kansas success story. I am pleased that our state has been able to provide a skilled workforce and the right business environment, which has allowed the company to greatly exceed expectations.”
Hiring is under way, and people with health care or customer service experience are encouraged to apply online. If the link is not working, copy and paste this URL in your browser: http://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com/Why-Work-Here/Our-Businesses/OptumRx.aspx. In addition to the nearly 450 new positions filled or still available this year, OptumRx expects to hire an additional 170 new employees over the next 18 months.
The 313,000-square-foot Overland Park site is home to OptumRx’s traditional mail service, Specialty Pharmacy operations and Diabetes Active Care Program, in addition to housing a large customer service operation. About 1,700 OptumRx employees are based in Overland Park. The total employee population at the location, including people who are employed by other UnitedHealth Group businesses, is more than 2,000 area residents.
“When we opened our doors in Overland Park in 2005, we estimated 750 jobs would be created. Thanks to support from the entire community, from state and local elected officials, from the employees who have come to work here and especially from our customers, we have been able to grow far beyond our original estimates,” said Dirk McMahon, CEO, OptumRx. “We look forward to growing with this community for years to come.”
OptumRx is currently the fourth-largest pharmacy benefits manager in the United States, with distinctive expertise and resources and a proven track record that has led to significant growth with both external and internal customers. OptumRx processes nearly 370 million adjusted retail, mail service and specialty drug prescriptions annually.
Statistics on the Overland Park facility:
- Since its opening in 2005, more than 42 million prescriptions have been dispensed from the Overland Park pharmacy with nationally recognized levels of quality and accuracy.
- Overland Park has the capacity to process more than 26 million prescriptions per year, based on two shifts per day, five days per week.
- OptumRx collaborated with the Kansas legislature to pass unique laws allowing the distribution of unused prescription medications to Kansas indigent care clinics and became the first company in Kansas to donate unused medications under the state’s new “Utilization of Unused Medications Act.” To date, OptumRx has donated more than $5 million worth of medications to this program to the benefit of Kansas residents through 36 community health clinics and centers statewide.
- Each year, Overland Park facility employees support a number of local charitable activities, selected and coordinated by the Employee Activities Committee, such as the Multiple Sclerosis Bike Ride, the American Diabetes Association Step Out Walk and the Alzheimer’s Association Walk.
OptumRx is an innovative pharmacy benefit management organization managing the prescription drug benefits of commercial, Medicare and other governmental health plans, as well as those of employers and unions through a national network of 64,000 community pharmacies and state-of-the-art mail service pharmacies in California and Kansas, both of which have earned the prestigious Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites™ (VIPPS®) accreditation by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy®. Visit www.optum.com or www.prescriptionsolutions.com for more information.
Optum is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business dedicated to making the health system work better for everyone. Optum is comprised of three companies – OptumHealth, OptumInsight and OptumRx – representing more than 30,000 employees worldwide who collaborate to deliver intelligent solutions that modernize the health system, improve overall population health and support Sustainable Health Communities. Optum serves the broad health care marketplace, including care providers, plan sponsors, government agencies, life sciences companies and consumers.