UnitedHealth Group Supports Tornado Victims in Southern States
- <p>Free counseling help line open</p>
- <p>Assistance for individuals who need early refills of prescription medications</p>
- <p>Support of Red Cross relief efforts</p>
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) and its benefits and services businesses, UnitedHealthcare and Optum, are taking immediate action to assist people in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Virginia affected by the recent tornadoes. This includes opening a free counseling line; relief to health plan participants who may need to refill prescription medications that may have been misplaced as a result of the tornado; and support of the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, which is assisting people in the affected communities.
- Free Help Line: OptumHealth, a leading provider of health and wellness services, is offering a free help line for people coping with the emotional consequences of the tornadoes. Staffed by experienced master’s-level behavioral health specialists, the help line offers assistance to callers seeking help in dealing with stress, anxiety and the grieving process. Callers may also receive referrals to community resources to help them with specific concerns, such as financial and legal issues.
The toll-free help line number, 1(866)-342-6892, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for as long as necessary. This service is free of charge to all affected individuals, even if they are not UnitedHealthcare enrollees. Resources and information are also available online at www.liveandworkwell.com and in Spanish at www.mentesana-cuerposano.com.
- Early Prescription Refills: Individuals who have been displaced or do not have access to their medications, who call and identify that they have been affected by the tornado, will be able to have prescription medications filled if they have refills remaining on file at a participating retail or mail-order pharmacy.
This includes plan participants enrolled in all fully insured commercial products, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement or Medicare Part D offerings and AARP MedicareRx plans. For mail-order delivery service to affected areas or any other questions related to their prescriptions, people are encouraged to call the pharmacy number on the back of their ID card, or speak directly to a pharmacist about their situation.
This policy is effective immediately and will remain active until at least May 4, 2011.
- Support for the American Red Cross: UnitedHealth Group participates in the Annual Disaster Giving Program of the American Red Cross, which is offering shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance to people in the affected communities.
Individuals can join forces with companies who are members of the Annual Disaster Giving Program and help provide food, shelter, emotional support and other assistance to the victims of thousands of disasters across the country each year, like the recent tornadoes in the southern states, either by going to www.redcross.org or calling 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make a donation.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; provides nearly half of the nation's blood; teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a charitable organization — not a government agency — and depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit www.redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making health care work better. With headquarters in Minnetonka, Minn., UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. Through its businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves more than 75 million people worldwide. Visit www.unitedhealthgroup.com for more information.