UnitedHealth Group Named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America and World Indices for 12th Consecutive Year
- Credited with Highest Total Score in Healthcare Provider Sector for Performance Across Economic, Environmental and Social Criteria
- Leader Among Industry Peers Worldwide in Corporate Governance, Service to Patients, Partnerships Toward Sustainable Health Care, Stakeholder Engagement and Corporate Citizenship and Philanthropy
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) today announced that the company has been named to both the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI NA) and the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI W). UnitedHealth Group attained the highest total Index score in the Healthcare Provider Sector, and was a leader among peer companies worldwide in corporate governance, service to patients, partnerships toward sustainable health care, stakeholder engagement, and corporate citizenship and philanthropy. The company also attained top scores in labor practice indicators and employee talent attraction and retention.
This marks the 12th consecutive year that UnitedHealth Group has been included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices.
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices recognize and benchmark companies that set industry-wide best practices in corporate sustainability, including:
- Integrating long-term economic, environmental and social aspects in their business strategies while maintaining global competitiveness and brand reputation.
- Meeting shareholders' demands for sound financial returns, long-term economic growth, open communication and transparent financial accounting.
- Fostering loyalty by investing in customer relationship management and product and service innovation that focuses on technologies and systems, which use financial, natural and social resources in an efficient, effective and economic manner over the long-term.
- Setting the highest standards of corporate governance and stakeholder engagement, including corporate codes of conduct and public reporting.
- Managing human resources to maintain workforce capabilities and employee satisfaction through best-in-class organizational learning and knowledge management practices and remuneration and benefit programs.
UnitedHealth Group cultivates these attributes to attain its mission to help people live healthier lives and as the foundation for the company’s efforts to help make the health care system work better for everyone.
The Sustainability Indices are reviewed annually by Dow Jones and the Zurich-based Sustainable Asset Management Group (SAM), a global investment firm. Companies on the Dow Jones Global Index are evaluated on a range of general business criteria as well as on industry-specific sustainability trends. The DJSI NA captures the leading 20 percent of the 600 largest North American companies, while the DJSI W includes the top 10 percent from the 2,500 largest companies worldwide. Corporate social responsibility has become a significant factor in investment decisions globally and SAM’s sustainability data are fully integrated into its investment offerings.
“We are grateful to receive such a positive, independent evaluation of UnitedHealth Group’s ongoing work in the critical area of health care benefits and services, our efforts to improve the health care system and the great responsibility the company carries for our customers, patients, health care providers, our employees and shareholders,” said Jeannine M. Rivet, executive vice president of UnitedHealth Group. “Our 80,000 employees worldwide drive these results through their dedication to integrity, practical innovation, compassion for the people we serve, strong relationships and a commitment to excellence in everything we do – all focused on helping people live healthier lives.”
To learn more about UnitedHealth Group sustainability initiatives, and to read the company’s 2009 Business Social Responsibility Report, please visit: www.unitedhealthgroup.com/SR.
For more information on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes, please visit: http://www.sustainability-indexes.com.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to making health care work better. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through six operating businesses: UnitedHealthcare, Ovations, AmeriChoice, OptumHealth, Ingenix and Prescription Solutions. Through its family of businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves more than 75 million individuals worldwide. Visit www.unitedhealthgroup.com for more information.