UnitedHealth Group Supports Storm Victims in Southern States
- <p>Help for individuals who need early refills of prescription medications that may have been lost due to the floods</p>
- <p>Free counseling help line open</p>
- <p>Donates $50,000 toward Red Cross relief efforts</p>
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Middle and Western Tennessee who suffered such tragic losses in this flood. At UnitedHealth Group, we are doing everything we can to assist the state’s recovery from this disaster, including several specific programs designed to help Tennesseans manage their health needs,” said Scott Bowers, president of AmeriChoice by UnitedHealthcare of Tennessee
- Early Prescription Refills: Individuals who have been displaced or do not have access to their medications, who call and identify that they have been affected by the storms and flooding, will be able to have prescription medications filled if they have refills remaining on file at a participating retail or mail-order pharmacy.
This includes plan participants enrolled in all fully insured commercial products, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement or Medicare Part D offerings, and AARP MedicareRx plans. For mail-order delivery service to affected areas or any other questions related to their prescriptions, people are encouraged to call the pharmacy number on the back of their ID card, or speak directly to a pharmacist about their situation.
This policy is effective immediately and will remain active until at least May 17, 2010.
- Help Line for Community Residents: OptumHealth, UnitedHealth Group’s health and wellness business, is providing a free help line for people coping with the emotional consequences of the flooding. Staffed by experienced master’s-level behavioral health specialists, the help line offers assistance to callers seeking help in dealing with stress, anxiety and the grieving process. Callers may also receive referrals to community resources to help them with specific concerns, such as financial and legal issues.
The toll-free help line number, 866-342-6892, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for as long as necessary. This service is free of charge to all Tennesseans even if they are not UnitedHealthcare customers. Resources and information are also available online at www.liveandworkwell.com
- Support for the American Red Cross: UnitedHealthcare and UnitedHealthcare by AmeriChoice, which serve thousands of health plan customers in Tennessee, announced a $50,000 donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. UnitedHealth Group participates in the Annual Disaster Giving Program of the American Red Cross, a group of leading companies who have pledged donations to the Red Cross during major disasters to ensure an immediate response will meet the needs of people who are affected by disasters of all sizes, at no cost and regardless of income. The donation will enable the Red Cross to provide support for shelters, meals, and clean-up and comfort kits, as well as mental health support for families and individuals in the affected community. On those rare occasions when donations exceed Red Cross expenses for a specific disaster, contributions are used to prepare for and serve victims of other disasters.
“Thanks to the generosity of our Annual Disaster Giving Program members, the Red Cross is able to mobilize supplies and staff to provide help to people and communities in need,” said Neal Litvack, chief development officer at the American Red Cross. “These contributions, along with the support of the American public, are critical during floods and similar disasters because they enable the Red Cross to rush immediate relief to disaster victims before the first donation has been given.”
People interested in providing additional assistance can contact the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund to help provide food, shelter and counseling for people affected by disasters like the recent flooding by logging onto RedCross.org or by calling 1-800 RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish) to make a donation. Contributions to the Disaster Relief Fund may also be sent to a local American Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C., 20013. In addition, people can make a $10 donation to the Disaster Relief Fund by texting REDCROSS to 90999.
UnitedHealthcare provides coverage for 500,000 beneficiaries of employer-based insurance, and AmeriChoice serves nearly 540,000 TennCare members in the state.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies nearly half of the nation's blood; teaches lifesaving skills; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a charitable organization — not a government agency — and depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit www.redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to making health care work better. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through six operating businesses: UnitedHealthcare, Ovations, AmeriChoice, OptumHealth, Ingenix, and Prescription Solutions. Through its family of businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves 75 million individuals worldwide. Visit www.unitedhealthgroup.com for more information.