The environment plays an important role in the health of every community.
As a leading health and well-being company, UnitedHealth Group’s mission is to help people live healthier lives. We are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment by conserving energy and natural resources and raising employee awareness about improving the environment.
Green Business Practices
UnitedHealth Group’s green business practices are reducing our carbon footprint in daily office work. We are moving toward paperless communications and implementing workplace conservation initiatives. Following are a few examples.
UnitedHealth Group met its long-term goal to reduce weather-normalized energy use in its domestic office facilities by 15 percent per square foot by the end of 2015 (2010 baseline). This was accomplished by use of industry best practices (e.g., ENERGY STAR's Portfolio Manager), strategic investment, low-cost/no-cost building efficiencies and strong employee engagement.
In 2015, UnitedHealth Group completed more than 100 energy and water conservation projects. Since 2010, we have implemented approximately 300 energy and water conservation measures, including optimized building management systems to match facility utilization.
With the opening of UnitedHealth Group's new Optum campus, UnitedHealth Group's LEED-certified facilities total 1.7 million square feet.
Recycling & Paper
A domestic recycling program has been rolled out to 60 sites and we continue to add more. Through our Shred-All program, we strive to increase the amount of paper we recycle and reduce the amount of paper used by our customers and providers and in our daily operations. Through our efforts, we recycled more than 7,200 tons of paper and saved nearly 125,000 trees in 2015.
Individuals We Serve
- Customers now see online bills, web-based eligibility transaction processing, and online banking reports.
- Brokers get their commission statements and quotes online.
- Individuals we serve receive online explanation of benefits statements and health statements.
- Physicians find remittance advice, electronic payments, and real-time adjudication online.
- Shareholders receive proxy statements and annual reports online, and can vote online or by phone.
- Employees receive online orientation and benefits enrollment materials, and online W-2 statements.
UnitedHealth Group has expanded its conservation efforts beyond paperless communications by:
- posting sustainability tips and articles on our employee intranet,
- expanding teleconference capabilities to reduce business travel,
- following a shred-all policy to improve confidentiality and increase recycling,
- turning off monitors overnight to reduce energy use, and
- supporting telecommuting.
USGBC® and the related logo are trademarks owned by the U.S. Green Building Council and are used with permission.